A  fightback from Queens Park Rangers condemned Stoke City to defeat at the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium this afternoon.
The Potters were 2-0 ahead at the half hour mark thanks to Sam Clucas and Tyrese Campbell, but the sides went in level at the break after Jordan Hugill and Ebere Eze levelled the game following slack defending by Stoke
Second half goals from substitue Bright Osayi-Samuel and Ilias Chair wrapped up the points for the home side, with the Potters departing  London empty handed again.
As the game settled down the home side had their first real chance of the afternoon, and it was one they should have taken. The ball was fired into the City penalty area by Ryan Manning, and with Jordan Hugill unmarked,  he could only manage to put the ball closer to the corner flag than the goal. Stoke opened the scoring when Powell’s great pass found Clucas in the clear, and the midfielder drove into the QPR penalty area before finishing beyond Kelly. Two minutes later  Powell was again in fine form, he found Campbell who made no mistake in doubling the Potters’ lead from a tight angle.
The home side found a way back into the game minutes later however, when Manning did well to find Hugill, and he buried his chance beyond Butland after slack defending.
Rangers completed the comeback just before the 40-minute mark when some skilfull play from the home side resulted in Eze firing home the equaliser.
It could easily have been 3-2 as the teams went in for the half time break as Grant Hall prodded wide.

Rangers completed the comeback with under 20 minutes remaining as Osayi-Samuel was allowed to stroll into the City penalty area, side-step Danny Batth, and fired into the net from a very  tight angle.
He almost added a second and the home side’s fourth as the game entered its final 10 minutes, but Butland was equal to his effort and beat his goal-bound strike away. The home side wrapped up the game as the 90 minutes came to a close when Chair tapped in from five yards after Butland parried Manning‘s shot. Only Clucas, Powell and Campbell emerge from this game with any credit.

In truth, this was a shocking collapse by Stoke who welcome Cardiff City to the bet365 Stadium next Saturday in another crucial match if they are to survive in the Championship. If the defence and game management does not improve, the club will be in real danger of sliding out of this league.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *