Sheffield Wednesday’s Massimo Luongo capitalised on Liam Lindsay’s first half mistake to end Stoke City’s two-game winning run at Hillsborough tonight. The Potters went into the match with spirits high following back-to-back wins against Swansea City and Fulham. Lee Gregory had City’s best chance on the night when his downward header was brilliant kept out by Owls stopper, Cameron Dawson. It wasn’t to be for Nathan Jones’ side in South Yorkshire, with MIllwall next up on Saturday.

The Potters were forced into an early change with just over 20 minutes gone, when Peter Etebo went down with a muscle injury. Mark Duffy, Etebo’s replacement, was greeted with a chorus of boos, given his Sheffield United past. A quarter of the way into the contest and the hosts had their first sight of the City goal. Adam Reach’s cross found its way to Kadeem Harris, but the winger could only find the Leppings Lane end from close range.
In the aftermath of Harris’ chance, Nathan Jones was forced into his second change of the evening when Cameron Carter-Vickers was forced off with a gash on his leg and Liam Lindsay coming on in his place.
Stoke  had their first sight of the home side’s goal with the half time break approaching. Duffy found Sam Clucas, but his low cross was turned away before Tyrese Campbell could tap home. However, with just minutes left in the half, the Owls found their breakthrough. Substitute Lindsay failed to clear a long ball forward, and Aussie midfielder Luongo had all the time in the world to fire beyond Federici and City were behind at the interval.
The second half started in similar fashion to the first with neither side creating any clear-cut chances.
The Potters looked as though they should have been awarded a penalty when Badou Ndiaye’s effort cannoned off a Wednesday defender. Allen was cleared pulled back in the area when trying to retrieve the ball, but referee Andrew Madley waved away the appeals.
Just moments later City should have been level. Gregory found space from a free-kick, but his header was brilliantly saved by home ‘keeper Cameron Dawson. It was the home side who were next on the attack when Federici did well to divert Harris’ effort over the bar.
That proved to be the end of the action at Hillsborough with the Potters left to reflect on an evening of disappointment in the White Rose county.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *