Scott Hogan’s late strike capped a great away day showing from Nathan Jones’ side as Stoke City claimed their first three points of the season at  Swansea City.
Despite falling behind early on to Andre Ayew’s tap in, the Potters rallied and levelled through Sam Clucas’ third of the season. Stoke remained a threat throughout and Hogan’s late strike was enough for the victory following a superb team showing throughout. With less than a minute on the clock Swansea went ahead when Andre Ayew tapped home when Adam Federici parried Yan Dhanda’s effort. Just four minutes later the hosts could have had a second when the Australian stopper did well to turn away a low Borja Baston drive.
Ayew saw another effort saved by City’s ‘keeper before the Potters registered their first effort on the Swans’ goal.
Peter Etebo found Lee Gregory in space, but his curling effort was turned away by Freddie Woodman.
With the Potters growing into the game, Tyrese Campbell twice threatened to force an equaliser with a low drive and a dangerous looking cross before City levelled the score line. Former Swan Joe Allen found space in the hosts’ penalty area only for Woodman to keep out his low drive, but Sam Clucas was there to drive the ball home. Stoke continued to press for the remainder of the half without really further testing Woodman until moments before the break. Bruno Martins Indi met Tom Edwards’ free-kick with a firm header, only for the Swansea ‘keeper to spill the ball. Gregory just couldn’t pounce on the rebound, with the angle just too tight and he could only find the side-netting.
The Potters continued their fine play early in the second period when Etebo’s deflected effort from distance cannoned back off the crossbar inside the opening 60 seconds of the second period. As time went on the pressure continued to grow from the visitors. Clucas’ testing cross just evaded Gregory before Etebo quickly put the ball back into the  area with the former Swansea midfielder just unable to get enough contact to force the ball home.
Some resolute defending from the Potters saw efforts from Baston and Ayew superbly blocked by Carter-Vickers and Batth. to keep the score line level.
The agony of seemingly not finding the winner turned to ecstasy just two minutes from time when City sealed the three points. Edwards’ superb delivery was met by Sam Vokes, his header was  kept out by Woodburn and fellow sub Scott Hogan was on hand to rifle the ball home.
The euphoric scenes in the away end capped out a brilliant showing from the Potters as the three points returned home to North Staffordshire. A well deserved victory and hopefully the start of a climb up the table

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *